Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Question 3

Would you give a history of your compulsive overeating and include the following:
A. Bouts with eating and dieting? B. Relationships that were tied up with food? C. Food related family occasions? D. Recent diet failures?

What eating problems brought you to the OA/Twelve Step program?

I’ve had many conversations with my mother about my eating disorder and although I would NEVER blame anyone else or any certain circumstance for MY difficulties, something my mother said to me made perfect sense. As a child, I was always consoled with food. I would fall down and get scraped up and mom would clean me up and give me a lollipop. I had strep throat over and over again and I was treated with bed rest, Tylenol, Penicillin of course, and lots and lots of ice cream and popsicles. Each year I got strep throat at least 8-10 times and each time I ate as much ice cream, jello, pudding, and popsicles as I wanted. Looking back, I think this was the beginning of my sugar addiction and I was only just a young child.

I came from a family who was always having parties. We got together all the time and ate. That’s what we did. We also ate at funerals, weddings, birthday parties, first communions, and I began to think about food in a different way, almost comparing it to a friend. I ate when I was sad. I ate when I was lonely. I ate when I was bored. I ate when I was anxious, depressed, or overwhelmed. I ate anytime I felt negative feelings, and then, I began to feel nothing at all.

My parents moved to Florida when I was in college and at the same time my brother joined the military. In the course of a couple of months, I lost my entire family of origin. I felt alone at times and food always seemed to make me feel better. My grandmother was then diagnosed with cancer and only had a short time to live. I ate and ate and ate just to cope with the feelings that made me think I was going to lose control. I felt alone and abandoned. I was here In Massachusetts taking care of my grandmother and was going to school at the time to be a nurse. I often wondered, “who was going to take care of me?” I tried to hold the world on my shoulders and food helped me cope. When I was tired, I ate. When I wanted to yell and scream, I ate. When I wanted to cry, I ate. When I missed my family I ate. When I doubted myself I ate. When I started to feel that I was not good enough, I ate. When something else went wrong, I ate. When someone was sick, I ate. No matter what happened, if I felt negative feelings, I ate.


At first, I did have control over this pattern and I could get away with a binge or two here and there and then after some time, that was over as well. Bingeing produced severe feelings of guilt, remorse, and self loathing and once I started to eat, I couldn’t stop. Each day upon awakening, I vowed that this day would be different, but we all know how the story went from there.
I gained a ton of weight and tried every diet on earth, several times in fact! After my second child was born, I lost 100 lbs. I ate through this as well but became a compulsive exerciser and despite all the calories I ate, continued to lose weight.


Then came the time when I didn’t have time to exercise. The weight piled on. I dieted and dieted and always lost weight temporarily. Not too much time went by and I couldn’t even stay on a diet for more than 2 days, no matter how hard I tried, no matter how much will power I had started with.

I also loved to go out with friends and drink. When I would come home from being out, I would be ravenous and would usually binge on food before going to bed. I always knew there was something about me and drinking. Why did it trigger me to eat? Why didn’t that happen to other people? Of course, I know the answer to that as well.

I have the mind and body of an addict. My brain is not wired the same and my body reacts to certain substances in a much different way. I cannot eat and drink like other people. I have no control over food in those circumstances or in any circumstance for that matter. I am a food addict and will ALWAYS have the biological and psychological differences within me. I accept that. Today, I accept that.

The fight is over if I surrender and accept every aspect of who I am at this very moment…and….I do…..

2 comments:

  1. Interesting food history. I also remember things about my family that set me up to be a compulsive eater. it wasn't so much that I was rewarded with food, but that my parents were compulsive overeaters, and encouraged me to eat. We used to have competitions at the dinner table as to who could finish first. It was meant to encourage my sister to finish her dinner. It is interesting that she has never had the compulsive attitude to food that I have, even though she grew up in the same environment. I believe there is some strange bent in my personality that has been present since birth which predisposes me to this disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with that. I also think that there is some genetic predisposition to addiction. The substance is different but the results the same for all of us. My brother struggles as much as I do but with alcohol and we come from a family who struggles with many addictions. My mom is also a compulsive overeater but has not struggled with the addictive piece like the both of us have, and my dad is a workaholic

    ReplyDelete